Religious Education Program
Welcome to the St. Joseph Parish Religious Education Program
We continue to use the familiar title of CCD, which stands for Confraternity of Christian Doctrine. This title continues to succinctly describe the philosophy and content of our program.
The CCD religious education program at the parish of St. Joseph’s in Tiffin, Ohio, is a significant part of the total ministry of the Church Universal. Its purpose is to assist parents in their efforts to foster a faith and love relationship with Jesus Christ in their children. The goal of religious education is the formation of the faithful Christian. The process involves teaching Christ’s message through the history and doctrines of the Catholic Church. The program must be recognized, not as an academic course, but as a way of life. Students are guided through the conversion experience by developing a well-informed conscience and a free commitment to be an active member of their faith community.
In recent years the independent programs of St. Mary’s CCD and St. Joseph’s CCD have been combined to facilitate a sharing of the instruction between the 2 parishes. We have the following structure in place at this time:
- St. Mary’s School Campus accommodates grades 1 through 3 on Wednesday evenings, 6:45 – 7:55 PM.
- St. Joseph’s Campus (Calvert Elementary School building) accommodates grades 4 – 8 on Wednesday evenings 6:30 – 8:05 p.m.
Each year in July a mailing is sent out to all families who are registered with the parish and whose grade school children are enrolled in the area public schools. The mailing includes the registration form and a class schedule. Other forms described here are obtainable through the CCD office.
- Registration form – this may be obtained from St. Joseph parish or an online form can be found here. This form should be completed and returned along with payment prior to the start of classes. Tuition amounts are posted at the top of this form. Current fees are $70 for one child; $120 for two children in the same family, and $150 for three or more children in the same family. Fees are subject to change as the need arises.
- Class Schedule – a listing of the exact dates for classes, parent meetings, breaks, and Sacraments.
- Emergency-medical form – a reference form regarding persons to notify in case of unforeseen events. One form for each child needs to be completed prior to the start of classes.
- Commitment sheets and intent agreements for students in the 1st and 2nd grade.
- Worksheets and service hour agreements for students in the 7th and 8th grade Confirmation program. Forms and worksheets for those enrolled in the reception of the sacraments of first penance and first Eucharist.
These forms may also be obtained at the parish office or at the St. Joseph CCD office located in Calvert Elementary School.
Sacraments : Penance, First Eucharist, Confirmation
Students planning to receive the sacraments of Penance, also known as Reconciliation or Confession, and First Eucharist, also known as First Communion are required to attend two years of instruction. These sacraments are bestowed on children during their second grade year. This means a child must be in a religion program during his first grade year in order to qualify for our second grade class and sacramental program.
Confirmation is traditionally bestowed on our 8th grade students, thus successful attendance during the 7th grade year is mandatory. If religious instruction was successfully completed at a parish other than St. Joseph, students will be admitted upon verification from that institution.